Some advice we often give here at Best Electric Bikes for anyone shopping for an e-bike, the single biggest factor in determining an e-bike’s price is the kind of motor it is designed to use. The rise of brushless, geared hub motors is what allowed and encouraged the huge growth in the sub-$2000 end of […]
Is it better to have a cadence or torque sensor on a hub motor
While there is a lively debate to decide on getting an e-bike with a mid-drive or a hub-drive motor, you can dive even deeper. If you’re looking at hub motors, should you get one with a torque or cadence sensor? As inventions go, e-bikes rank as one of the better uses for an electric motor […]
How Long Do eBikes Typically Last?
For some questions, the answers are easy. What day is Christmas? Who won the Superbowl? Will the Big Bad Wolf blow down a house made of straw? Other questions aren’t as simple. Which is Led Zeppelin’s best album? Where should I go on vacation this year? Tougher still: How long does an e-bike last? An […]
Best Electric Bikes of 2023
Just when we think e-bikes can’t improve or become more affordable, they do. As much as we thought 2022 was the perfect time for someone to purchase an e-bike, it is obvious from what we are seeing that 2023 will be an even better year to purchase an e-bike. Whether someone is shopping for their […]
How Do I Replace My E-Bike Battery?
The average e-bike battery is said to last about three years; less if it is charged daily, more if it isn’t ridden year-round. Due to the specialized connectors involved and the variety of different sizes of e-bike batteries from a capacity standpoint, replacing an e-bike battery isn’t like replacing the AAA batteries in the TV […]
Trek FX+ 2 Review – 2023
Summary Trek FX+ 2 Electric Bike
- At just 40 lbs., this is an unusually light e-bike, which makes it easier for riders to handle, especially smaller riders, and its low weight mean it doesn’t need as big a battery or as powerful a hub motor
- 250W brushless, geared hub motor produces 40Nm of torque, which seems modest, but delivers great acceleration and top speed in such a light e-bike
- 250Wh battery can provide up to 35 mi. range for most riders, enough for most riders get get through several days of commuting
- Comes in four sizes, which will be especially useful to small riders and tall riders
- 700C x 40mm tires roll quickly and offer a very smooth ride
- Riders can purchase a range-extending battery
- Riders who want a throttle will be disappointed as this is a Class 1 e-bike
- No display to inform the rider about speed, distance or PAS level; the battery level indicator on the selector needs more detail; 5 LED lights isn’t much info
Intro The Trek FX+2 is an unusual offering among city bikes. It’s priced a bit higher than most of the e-bikes we see and its parts pick is more sophisticated at every turn. It’s also half the weight of some e-bikes. In our Trek FX+2 review we will look at the many benefits buyers are […]
Can Electric Bikes Ride In The Sand?
Today’s e-bikes come in more flavors than Baskin-Robbins. We’ve got commuters, cruisers, all-terrain, eMTBs, cargo e-bikes and more. But what about loose terrain? Can electric bikes hold up wiell in the sand? That’s the question the Best Electric Bikes team will be looking at today. Some of these e-bikes feature specialized gear to make them […]
How Much Motor Power Is Needed For Your E-Bike?
E-bikes come in a range of different levels of power. On the low end, many mid-drive motors produce 250W. On the high end, we’ve reviewed e-bikes with hub motors that produce 1000W and there are even e-bikes with unrestricted motors that are more like motorcycles than e-bikes. Considering how broad a range that is, someone […]
Is It Okay To Derestrict An Electric Bike?
One of the most enjoyable experiences in riding an e-bike is that full-body sense of movement, and for many of us, going faster gives us even more of that feeling. With that said, we can’t blame anyone who wonders about derestricting their Class 1 or 2 e-bike so that it can go Class 3 speeds […]
Xprit Shuttle Review, 2023
Summary Xprit Shuttle Electric Bike
- Terrific motorcycle styling with front and rear suspension and a front cowl and large headlight to blend form with function
- 4-in.-wide tires and cast aluminum wheels can handle off-road use
- 750W brushless, geared hub motor for great acceleration and a Class 3 top speed of 28 mph
- 922Wh Samsung/LG battery offers substantial range whether pedaling or throttling
- The LCD display is large, center-mounted and easy-to-read; we also like that a smartphone mount is included
- Includes turn signals to alert drivers behind the rider
- Taller riders will feel cramped due to the fact that the seat cannot be raised and as a result, most riders are likely to favor the throttle
- The drivetrain would benefit from a wider range of gears to make climbing hills and hitting top speed easier
Intro E-bike companies include throttles on e-bikes for a very simple reason: Riders like them. Iif consumers didn’t want them, they wouldn’t be there. And while some riders never use the throttle, there are certainly riders who would rather use the throttle than pedal. If a manufacturer wants to design an e-bike for riders who […]