By carefully studying the components and features of the latest Aveny model and comparing it against other eBikes with shared or similar designs, we developed our spec review of the Blix Aveny. We hope to provide you with some general impressions of the feel, performance, and accessories that come with the Blix Aveny electric bike with our spec review.
For those who want a comfortable, fast, and affordable eBike to ride to work with, we highly recommend checking out the Blix Aveny electric bike! The price alone is very attractive to those new to the world of eBikes, and the 6061 aluminum frame is highly customizable to make it a comfortable ride for the average adult rider.
The Samsung 672 Wh battery has a 45+ mile range and compliments the powerful Shengyi rear gear hub motor with an impressive 70 Nm torque output.
The 7-Speed Shimano drivetrain rarely suffers a chain drop, and if you stick to flat roads, you’ll find the Tektro Aquila mechanical disc brakes provide sufficient stopping power with 160 mm sized rotors. Beyond just performance, you also have a wide range of premium accessories included, consisting of a headlight, tail light, kickstand, ergonomic grips, padded saddle, rear cargo rack, and more.
So if you don’t have much to spend on an eBike but want something with a good motor, range, and overall performance, read our spec review to learn why we recommend the Blix Aveny eBike!
Bike-Category: Class II electric bike. Pedal and throttle activated motor assistance up to 20 MPH.
Who It’s For: Cyclists who want an affordable, balanced eBike great for experienced cyclists or those new to riding. Especially great for the average-sized adult within the 5’1’’ to 6’2’’ range.
- FRAME: 6061 Aluminum Frame
- UI/REMOTE: Backlit LCD Display
- BATTERY: Samsung Lithium-Ion Battery, 672 Wh
- CHARGER: 2.5 Amp Charger
- MOTOR: Shengyi Rear Gear Hub Motor, 500 W / 70 Nm
- CHAIN: KMCe Chain
- SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano 7-speed, Grip shift
- CASSETTE: Shimano 14-28 T Freewheel
- CHAINRINGS: 48T Chainring
- DERAILLEUR: Shimano Acera Derailleur
- RIMS: Double Wall Aluminum Alloy 36 Hole Rims
- TIRES: Custom Blix Tires with Kevlar Puncture Protection, 27.5’’ x 2’’
- SADDLE: Comfort Padded Brown Saddle
- STEM: Promax Adjustable Stem
- HANDLEBARS: Town Riser Swept Back Handlebars, 620mm
- GRIPS: Ergonomic Brown Lock-On Grips
- BRAKES: Tektro Aquila Mechanical Disc Brakes, 160mm Rotors
- PEDALS: Wellgo Aluminum Platform Pedals
- KICKSTAND: Rear Mounted Kickstand
- BELL: Integrated Bell System
- HEADLIGHT: Integrated, Axendo 6-36V Light
- TAIL LIGHT: Integrated, Rear-Flexio 6V,with brake light
- FENDERS: Aluminum Alloy Fenders
- Very affordable entry-level eBike with excellent overall performance, features, and accessories. Available in three colors, providing some aesthetic personalization.
- 6061 aluminum frame. Full assembly weight is about 54 lbs, including all of the accessories that it comes with. Not as heavy as some other commuter bikes.
- Samsung Lithium-Ion Battery, with a 672 Wh capacity. Can travel over 45 miles on a single charge with optimal riding settings. It is mounted beneath the saddle for protection.
- 2.5 Amp charger, which is better than the average charger that comes with an eBike. Full recharge time from 0% to 100% is about 5 to 6 hours.
- Shengyi rear gear hub motor, with a 500 W / 70 Nm output. While it does have a large battery drain, the motor provides excellent power to help you travel fast on the road.
- Shimano 14-28 T freewheel with a 48T chainring. 7-Speed eBike, providing stable pedal control to help you maintain a more consistent cadence. Great steel chain guard too!
- Backlit LCD Display. Very easy to read, with a good range of readouts to track your riding performance. USB port included helping keep your phone charged while riding.
- Custom Blix Tires with excellent Kevlar Puncture Protection, measuring 27.5’’ by 2’’. Tall with a balanced width, prioritizing acceleration while still providing good stability.
- Tektro Aquila mechanical disc brakes, with 160mm sized rotors. The brakes are easy to maintain and quiet when used, helping you come to a quick, steady, and safe stop.
- A full accessory lineup included with the Blix Aveny stock model. Headlight, tail light, fenders, rear cargo rack, and more. Great for those shopping on a tight budget!
- Brakes don’t provide enough stopping power for all riding situations. Be careful when riding downhill, as the brakes can overheat, and malfunction is applied too quickly.
- Only one frame size and style for the Blix Aveny. If you aren’t within the recommended 5’1’’ to 6’2’’ height range, you should consider a different electric bike.
- More exposed wiring than we like to see on an eBike. If the eBike crashes, you may damage vital electrical components more easily than your traditional eBike.
- 6061 Aluminum Alloy Frame
Very affordable and easy to mount electric commuter bike. It comes in three different color options, allowing for greater personalization. One step-thru frame style, with a recommended height of 5’1’’ to 6’2’’.
- Samsung Lithium-Ion Battery, 672 Wh
Large Samsung Lithium-Ion battery mounted beneath the saddle. The battery provides a substantial range, helping cyclists travel over 45 miles on a single charge. Easy to get to, but well protected if you do get in a crash.
- 2.5 Amp Charger
An above-average charger is included with the entry-level priced eBike. Full recharge time from 0% to 100% is about 5 to 6 hours. With a basic charger, a full recharge could take over 7 hours.
- Shengyi Rear Gear Hub Motor, 500 W / 70 Nm
Powerful motor that does have a larger than expected energy drain, but it provides great acceleration and torque to help you climb any hill you come across. Throttle and pedal activated, allowing you to switch up your riding style.
- Backlit LCD Display
Mounted in the center of the handlebars, the Blix Assist LCD display helps you keep track of your vital riding metrics when you’re out riding. It also includes a USB port, helping you keep your phone charged while you ride.
- Shimano 14-28 T Freewheel with a 48T Chainring
7-Speed drivetrain provides solid gear control, helping you maintain a steady cadence as you commute to work or ride around the city. Excellent drivetrain guard protection, reducing the risk of a sudden chain drop.
- Custom Blix Tires with Kevlar Puncture Protection, 27.5’’ x 2’’
High-quality, custom-made tires designed with urban riding in mind. Very tall tires provide great acceleration, while the 2’’ thickness balances traction, acceleration, and stability. Kevlar puncture protection dramatically reduces the risk of a blowout.
- Town Riser Swept Back Handlebars with a Rigid Steel Fork
Cruiser swept-back style handlebars make it more comfortable to ride long distances as you head to work. A rigid steel fork provides natural shock absorption on the road, helping you ride over the occasional bump or pothole.
- Tektro Aquila Mechanical Disc Brakes, 160mm Rotors
Good, if basic mechanical disc brakes by Tektro with 160 mm sized rotors. The mechanical disc brakes are quiet and easy to maintain but lack as much stopping power as hydraulic disc brakes. Be careful braking on hills!
- Wellgo Aluminum Platform Pedals
High-quality aluminum platform pedals that you don’t ordinarily see in an eBike at this price point. Aluminum pedals are more durable than plastic pedals, and they provide better foot traction support as well. Good reflector panels too.
The industry standard material for eBike frame construction is 6061 aluminum alloy, and that is what the Blix Aveny is made of. 6061 aluminum alloy is lightweight, durable, easy to work with, and less expensive than many other metals, making it a popular choice in bike construction and boat, car, and aircraft construction.
In total, the Blix Aveny weighs about 54 pounds fully assembled, which is a reasonable weight once you consider that it includes fenders, the rear cargo rack, and several other key accessories.
The Blix Aveny is available in three colors, providing some minor customization in its looks. One major letdown with this eBike is that the Blix Aveny is only available in one size and style–only offering a step-thru model. Blix’s website suggests that the Aveny is recommended for cyclists between 5’1’’ and 6’2’’, and after talking about the bike with other reviewers, the recommended range is spot on. The average adult will feel comfortable on the Blix Aveny, but those who are exceptionally tall or short will struggle to ride the Blix Aveny.
Motor & Battery
The Blix Aveny is a class II eBike, with pedal and throttle activated motor assistance up to 20 MPH.
The Aveny may be an entry-level eBike, but it is mounted with a Shengyi rear gear hub motor that even many mid-level eBikes struggle to match in terms of power. The included motor has a 500 W / 70 Nm torque output, providing more than enough power to help you climb almost any hill.
Further, the 70 Nm torque provides very rapid acceleration, so whether you rely on the pedals or the throttle, you’ll find it easy to keep up with traffic. If you want an entry-level eBike with lots of power, the Blix Aveny is definitely a great option to consider.
The charger and battery configuration aren’t nearly as impressive, but they still provide satisfactory performance considering the eBike price. The 672 Wh battery has a 45+ mile range if you set the motor to optimal range settings, which should be more than enough to get you to work without running the battery dry.
A 2.5 Amp charger is included, cutting down the charging time compared to a standard 2 Amp charger. At 5 to 6 hours to charge from 0% to 100%, you still need to plan when charging your battery, but if you plug in your battery when you get to work, it will be ready for use by the time you need to head home for the day.
Mounted in the middle of your handlebars, the Blix Aveny has an easy-to-read and just as clear LCD display. This display has a substantial range of readouts, and with five pedal-assist levels, you can choose to prioritize range, power, or a mixture between the two.
In addition, the display also has a USB charging port, helping you keep your phone charged without having a significant impact on the battery life. Because it is grayscale instead of color, it will be harder to read when riding in the dark, but the backlit screen works well enough you’ll still be able to see. Overall, we like the Blix Aveny display, especially with outstanding readouts such as:
Blix Aveny Display Readouts, Metrics, and Settings:
- Current Speed
- Average Speed
- Max Speed
- Battery Level (Fifteen Levels)
- Pedal Assist Level (Five Levels + Walk Mode)
- Motor Power Watts
- Trip Distance
- On Streets- As a city commuter eBike, the Blix Aveny has been designed from the ground up to handle best on city streets. There is excellent acceleration thanks to the 27.5’’ tall tires, and at 2’’ wide, they balance traction, stability, turning, and acceleration. Braking is great if you are riding on a flat surface, though they can overheat or fail if you try to brake when riding down a hill at high speeds. You also want to be cautious when riding on cobblestone, gravel, or other bumpy terrains due to the lack of suspension support. Otherwise, you’ll have a blast riding on the Blix Aveny electric bike.
- Turn Radius- The Blix Aveny has a pretty tight turn radius, making it easy to cut corners even when you’re riding at high speeds. This also means if you have to cut through a narrow alleyway or squeeze your bike through a thin doorway to get your bike inside, it is a lot easier to do with the Aveney compared to other commuters we’ve reviewed. While we would like the bike to be a bit lighter, the 54 lb weight also means you won’t feel as tipsy when trying to make a sudden or tight turn. Regarding handling, the turn radius is another area where the Blix Aveny more than meets the mark.
- Low-Speed Handling- Weighing about 54 lbs, the Blix Aveny is a little challenging to ride at low speeds without any motor assistance. However, turn the motor on, and you’ll have several options available to make low-speed handling easier. You can get off the saddle and turn on walk mode, which will cause the motor to slowly push the bike without you having to pedal at all. Alternatively, you can also stay on your bike and turn a low pedal-assist level on, providing a small boost in speed to assist in handling without forcing you to travel more than 3 to 5 MPH. The pedal-assist does control the throttle as well, so you can just skip out on pedaling entirely and rely on the throttle for a small speed boost instead.
There is a Shimano 14-28 T freewheel attached to a 48T chainring via a KMCe chain in regards to the drivetrain. Shimano makes some of the most reliable drivetrains in the world, so on its own, you’ll rarely have to worry about a chain drop.
A very high-quality chain guard is included with the stock Aveny, which helps the drivetrain stay very clean and guides the chain to reduce the risk of a chain drop further. There are seven gear options to choose from, so feel free to switch between them, even when riding at high speeds, for more precise cadence control on the Blix Aveny electric bike.
The brakes are one of the few areas where we hope to see Blix improve their Aveny eBike in the future. The Aveny has Tektro Aquila mechanical disc brakes, with mechanical disc brakes being more typical of entry-level bikes than hydraulic disc brakes.
Besides being less expensive to include, mechanical disc brakes are quieter, easier to adjust and repair, and easier to customize than hydraulic disc brakes. However, mechanical disc brakes offer less stopping power, and in conjunction with 160 mm sized rotors, the brakes will struggle when trying to come to a quick stop on a hill. Slowly apply your brakes and don’t travel too fast when going downhill, and you’ll do fine when riding the Blix Aveny electric bike.
There is only natural suspension support on the Blix Aveny, consisting of the 54 lbs weight and the rigid steel fork. The natural suspension helps the bike feel more stable if you run over the occasional pothole or speed bump, but it doesn’t provide generous support for sustained bumpy riding.
City commuters aren’t necessarily designed to travel over cobblestone and loose dirt. But the Aveny handles those terrains worse than many of the mid-level commuter eBikes we’ve reviewed. You can add a suspension seat post, but at that point, you’re spending enough money that you might want to consider a mid-tier priced eBike over the Aveny. For those sticking to smooth, paved roads, the Blix Aveny is stable enough to provide a fun and comfortable riding experience.
The Aveny’s pedals are a component that does help it stand out even further as a terrific eBike option. Instead of going with the inexpensive, basic plastic pedals that many entry-level eBikes rely on, the Blix Aveny comes with aluminum platform pedals instead.
Aluminum platform pedals provide more generous traction support than plastic pedals, besides also being more durable and less likely to break if you get in a crash. Besides these significant performance advantages, the aluminum pedals included with the Blix Aveny also features large reflector panels, making it easier to spot the rider by other cyclists and cars sharing the road. Whereas you have to spend extra money to upgrade pedals on many other entry-level bikes, the pedals that come with the Aveny are worth keeping.
Grips and Saddle
The brown grips feature an ergonomic design that makes them great for long-distance riding, especially in conjunction with the brown, comfort padded saddle. Furthermore, the lock-on grips provide a tighter hold on the handlebars compared to grips that are just glued on, and they are much easier to replace than glued on grips.
The swept-back cruiser style handlebar is also designed with comfort in mind, helping you maintain a good posture that reduces the strain on your lower back and weak joints while you are out riding. With an adjustable stem and headset, the Blix Aveny can be configured for a great rider fit if you are within the recommended 5’1’’ to 6’2’’ recommended height range.
Wheels and Tires
Regarding the wheel setup, the Aveny has custom Blix tires that measure 27.5’’ by 2’’, with double-wall aluminum alloy 36 hole rims. The front wheel has 13 gauge stainless steel spokes, while the back wheel is a little lighter by relying on 12 gauge stainless steel spokes instead.
Returning to the tires, you can deflate them as low as 30 PSI, which reduces the shock felt when riding on uneven terrain, or inflating them as high as 50 PSI to prioritize acceleration and grip on smooth, flat surfaces. Besides being very reflective, the wheels have premium kevlar puncture protection. Besides reducing the risk of popping when you run over sharp objects, the kevlar puncture protection also reduces the risk of a blowout when riding at high speeds. While the motor is capped at 20 MPH, you can safely travel 30+ and even 40+ MPH with the Blix Aveny electric bike!
The Blix Aveny is one of the most affordable eBikes we’ve reviewed, and you’re saving even more money when you consider all of the accessories it comes with. The kickstand, the rear cargo rack, the headlight and taillight combo, and several other premium accessories are included with the stock model.
In terms of safety and base performance, there isn’t anything significant you have to add to complete the Blix Aveny eBike! If you do want to make your eBike performance even better, though, consider some of the following accessories:
- Blix Front Rack
- Blix Baskets
- Blix Rear Rack Cushion Seat
- Blix Pannier/Tote/Rack Bags
Just because you’re trying to save money doesn’t mean you can’t find an eBike that offers good performance. The Aveny is one of the most affordable eBikes we’ve reviewed while providing a wide range of features, accessories, and dynamic performance to satisfy even experienced cyclists.
The 6061 aluminum frame weighs just 54 pounds, including the fenders, battery, motor, and several other vital components that weigh the frame down. You can expect to travel over 45 miles on a single charge with the Samsung 672 Wh battery and charge it up quickly with the 2.5 Amp charger.
The Shengyi motor has an impressive 70 Nm torque output, which is more than what you’ll find on many entry-level and even mid-level priced eBikes.
Shimano makes the drivetrain, so in conjunction with the chain guard, you will rarely have issues shifting the 7-Speed gears. The brakes are a little underwhelming with just 160 mm rotors and mechanical disc brakes, but if you’re careful when riding down a hill, you’ll find that they still work well enough for almost every riding situation. The inferior brakes are compensated by the impressive list of accessories that comes with the Aveny, including a headlight, tail light, kickstand, aluminum pedals, and more.
Entry-level eBikes range in quality, but when it comes to the balance of price, value, and performance, you won’t find many beginners eBikes better than the Blix Aveny electric bike!
Thank you so much for reading our spec review of the Blix Aveny electric bike! If you would like to learn more, leave a comment with any questions you may have for our review team. Your question may even make it into our full performance or video review!