We can’t provide a full performance review just yet, but we can provide a spec review of the RadWagon 4. We hope that our spec review will give you a general idea of the feel, performance, and features of the RadWagon 4 by Rad Power Bikes!
The RadWagon 4 is an excellent option for those looking for a heavy-duty cargo bike on a budget. Its one-size option limits the aluminum frame, but it has a 350+ lbs payload that makes it able to support up to two adult riders at the same time. You can travel over 45 miles on a single charge, and with the Bafang 80 Nm motor, you’ll blow past traffic as you ride up any road, including steep hill climbs.
The 7-Speed drivetrain is very dependable, as is the 180 mm rotor Tektro mechanical disc brake system. Value is critical when you consider your eBike purchase, which is what you get thanks to the headlight, tail light, pedals, and other great eBike accessories.
If you’re new to eBikes and want a fun cargo bike that you can ride by yourself or with your partner or kids, read our spec review to learn why we recommend the RadWagon 4 electric bike!
Bike-Category: Class II electric bike. Pedal and throttle activated motor assistance up to 20 MPH.
Who It’s For: Cyclists who want a very stable, supportive cargo eBike on a low budget. Especially great for those who need a potent eBike motor
- FRAME: 6061 Aluminum Frame
- UI/REMOTE: Backlit LCD Display
- BATTERY: Samsung Lithium-Ion Battery, 672 Wh
- CHARGER: 2 Amp Fast Charger
- MOTOR: Bafang Rear Gear Hub Motor, 750 W / 80 Nm
- CHAIN: KMCe Chain
- SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano Thumb Shifter, 7-speed
- CASSETTE: Freewheel 11-34 T Cassette
- CHAINRINGS: 46T Chainring
- DERAILLEUR: 7-Speed Shimano Derailleur
- RIMS: Double Wall Aluminum Alloy 36 Hole
- TIRES: Rad Power Bikes Custom 22’’ x 3’’ Tires
- SADDLE: Aventon Velo Comfort Saddle
- STEM: Plush Saddle with Lifting Handle
- HANDLEBARS: Swept-Back, RPB Custom Handlebars
- GRIPS: Velo Comfort Rubber Ergonomic Grips
- BRAKES: Tektro Aries MD-M300 Mechanical Disc Brakes, 180 mm Rotors
- PEDALS: Aluminum Alloy Pedals
- KICKSTAND: Dual Leg Kickstand
- BELL: Integrated Bell
- HEADLIGHT: Integrated LED Light
- TAIL LIGHT: Integrated LED Light
- FENDERS: Full Coverage Front and Rear Plastic Fenders
- Easy to use, beginner-friendly electric cargo eBike. With a 350 lbs payload capacity, you can load it up with a ton of cargo or even go out with a second adult.
- 6061 aluminum frame. Full assembly weight is about 76.7 lbs, which is slightly less than what you usually see on a full-sized cargo electric bike.
- Samsung Lithium-Ion battery with a 672 Wh capacity. Able to travel over 45 miles on a single charge. Godo range considering how big the cargo bike is.
- 2 amp charger. Very small and compact, so it is easy to travel with. You can charge the eBike battery while mounted on the bike or remove the battery to charge it indoors.
- Shengyi rear gear hub motor, 750 W / 50 Nm torque output. The capable motor can keep up with traffic or help you climb any hill you see. Fantastic pedal and throttle system!
- Freewheel 11-34 T cassette with a 46T chainring drivetrain. 7-Speed provides reasonable gear control so you can maintain a steady cadence while riding through the city.
- Backlit LCD display. 2.75’’ size screen is easy to read, with multiple vital readouts to track your riding performance. USB port to keep your phone charged while you ride.
- Rad Power Bikes Custom 22’’ x 3’’ tires. Wide and stocky, so you have extra road traction and stability for a smoother, more comfortable riding experience.
- Tektro Aries MD-M300 mechanical disc brakes with 180 mm rotors. Good stopping power, even if you are riding fast downhill. Easy to manage, and very quiet too.
- A full accessory lineup with the entry-level priced eBike. Integrated headlight and tail light, kickstand, aluminum pedals, and more. Fantastic overall eBike value.
- Slow recharge time. Plan when recharging your battery because you often need 5 to 6 hours to go from 0% to 100%.
- Custom wheels perform well, but if you have to replace the tire, you need to order it from Rad Power Bikes instead of throwing on a generic tire like most other bikes.
- Exposed wiring means that if you get in a crash, it is more likely that your critical electrical components will get damaged.
- Only one frame size currently available. Cargo bikes tend to be a one size fits all type of frame, but Rad Power Bikes tend to be very specific in rider fit.
- 6061 Aluminum Alloy Frame
6061 aluminum alloy is used in constructing many other eBike frames. The full assembly weight for the RadWagon 4 is 76.7 lbs, which is fine since it is a cargo bike. You are limited with just one frame size, though.
- Samsung Lithium-Ion Battery, 672 Wh
Good size battery mounted on the central downtube of the RadWagon 4. You can travel over 45 miles on a single charge with optimal riding settings, sufficient if you are hauling cargo.
- 2 Amp Charger
Basic, easy-to-use charger that is lightweight and simple to back in your travel bag or backpack. Slow recharging time given its large battery size, taking an estimated 5 to 6 hours for a full battery recharge.
- Bafang Rear Gear Hub Motor, 750 W / 80 Nm
A very powerful rear gear hub motor provides a strong push even when the frame is heavily loaded with cargo. Quick acceleration, and as a class II eBike, there is motor assistance up to 20 MPH.
- Backlit LCD Display
A 2.75’’ LCD display with good backlighting so you can easily read the screen during the day or at night. Useful readouts and even a USB charging port to top off your battery when riding the RadWagon 4.
- Freewheel 11-34 T Cassette with a 46T Chainring Drivetrain
7-Speed eBike, which is sufficient gearing when you consider the RadWagon 4 as an entry-level cargo bike. Great steel derailleur guard and neoprene slap guard reduce the risk of a chain drop and keep the drivetrain clean.
- Rad Power Bikes Custom 22’’ x 3’’ Tires
Short, bulky wide tires that are built primarily with road traction and stability in mind. Generous support for cargo, with extensive puncture protection, further reduces the risk of a flat while you’re commuting with an eBike.
- Swept-Back, RPB Custom Handlebars with a Rigid Steel Fork
Swept-back handlebars provide a comfortable position helping you ride longer without straining your muscles and weak joints. Rigid steel fork compounds the natural shock absorption when you ride on rough terrain.
- Tektro Aries MD-M300 Mechanical Disc Brakes, 180 mm Rotors
Powerful mechanical disc brakes provide great stopping power to help you come to a quick and steady rest. Mechanical disc brakes are easy to maintain and repair, and they are very quiet when used as well!
- Aluminum Alloy Pedals
Aluminum platform pedals. Sized to accommodate short and tall cyclists alike, with better durability and traction support than traditional plastic platform pedals.
The RadWagon 4 by Rad Power Bikes is an entry-level cargo bike built with a 6061 aluminum frame. 6061 aluminum is also used in boat, car, and aircraft construction because it is an easy to work with, lightweight, yet durable and affordable alloy.
Fully assembled, the RadWagon 4 weighs about 76.7 lbs, but this is a full-sized cargo eBike that has a 350 lbs payload. Once you have a second adult passenger or are hauling a ton of cargo, we think you’ll appreciate the performance despite the heavy frame weight.
While it is available in three distinct colors, the one way in which the RadWagon 4 is lacking is when it comes to frame size. Many cargo bikes are designed to support all rider heights, but Rad Power Bikes are stringent on who comfortably rides them. If you’re within the 5’2’’ and taller range, the RadWagon 4 is a great cargo bike to consider. Those who are shorter than 5’2’’ will, unfortunately, need to consider a different Rad Power Bike model if you want an easy-to-handle, comfortable electric bike built with your height in mind.
Motor & Battery
The Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4 is a class II electric bike with pedal and throttle activated motor assistance up to 20 MPH.
The RadWagon 4 has a Bafang rear gear hub motor with a 750 W / 80 Nm torque output. 80 Nm torque is not something you ordinarily see on an entry-level priced eBike. This is impressive motor power to support the heavier frame and any cargo payload. Both the pedal and throttle systems are highly responsive, making it easy to keep up with traffic or zoom past your friends despite riding an electric cargo bike.
We like the battery included with the RadWagon 4, even if we wish it came with a better charger. The Samsung Lithium-Ion battery has a 672 Wh capacity and can travel over 45 miles on a single charge with the optimal pedal-assist mode settings.
While other eBikes have a more impressive range, you aren’t going to travel farther than 30 miles on a typical cargo ride, mainly because the heavy frame leaves even well-trained athletes tired at that point.
The one let down is the basic 2 Amp charger included. It takes 5 to 6 hours to recharge the battery from 0% to 100% fully. We like that we can take the battery off the frame and charge it indoors or while mounted on the bike, but we suggest finding a compatible 4 Amp charger to cut down the lengthy recharge time.
Mounted in the handlebar center, we like the backlit LCD display included with the RadWagon 4 electric bike. Since the display is backlit, you can go out riding while it’s dark out and see the screen nearly as well as while riding during the middle of the day.
The RadWagon 4 has five pedal-assist levels to choose from, helping you select optimized motor performance depending on your environment, with a long list of readouts to track your riding performance. The display has a USB port, so you can plug in your phone or some other smart device to keep it charged while you ride. The full list of readouts included with the RadWagon 4 LCD Display is as follows:
Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4 Display Readouts, Metrics, and Settings:
- Current Speed
- Average Speed
- Max Speed
- Battery Level (Five Levels)
- Pedal Assist Level (Five Levels + Walk Mode)
- Motor Power Watts
- Trip Meter
- Light Settings
- On Streets- Cargo bikes aren’t well regarded for their handling, but the RadWagon 4 is a relatively easy eBike to ride with or without cargo. The low-to-the-ground, wide-wheel setup provides excellent stability and traction support that you’ll appreciate once you load your bike up with gear. Acceleration is quick, especially when you use the throttle, and braking is just as steady thanks to the 180 mm size rotors and mechanical disc brakes. Shifting is consistent, too, with a Shimano drivetrain and high-quality derailleur guard. It might take a couple of rides, but you should feel very comfortable and stable when riding the RadWagon 4 electric bike.
- Turn Radius- Be aware that you do not have a tight turn radius on the RadWagon 4 electric bike. The short tire height helps perform tighter turns, but they are wide tires, and with an extended cargo rack and a large bike frame, the help is negligible. While you don’t have to cross into two lanes of traffic to make a circle, you are definitely going to need to take your time and have space to round a corner. There is a ton of excellent performance with the RadWagon 4, but having a tight turn is not an area where it excels.
- Low-Speed Handling- The heavier and eBike, the more difficult it tends to be when you try to handle it at low speeds, a rule true with the RadWagon 4. However, you can improve your handling by using the motor and two options that can be accessed from the LCD. You can set the motor to a low pedal-assist level if you just want a small push while you’re riding the RadWagon 4 eBike, helping you focus on your handling instead of your pedaling. Alternatively, get off the saddle and turn on walk mode to get power assistance from the motor without using the pedals at all. Both of these suggestions work well for low-speed handling. But do not try to use the throttle if you want to maintain a low speed. The throttle provides a max power boost, and if you aren’t careful can cause your eBike to shoot from your grasp if you aren’t anticipating the sudden surge in speed.
In terms of the drivetrain, you can expect a freewheel 11-34 T cassette with a 46T chainring drivetrain connected with a KMC chain’s assistance. This drivetrain comprises a 7-Speed eBike, a typical gearing setup for an entry-level bike at this price point, and is well suited for a beginner cargo bike.
The drivetrain does stand out in how smooth gear shifting feels, thanks to the high-quality Shimano build and the multiple drivetrain guards included with the RadWagon 4. You have full plastic fender coverage, a steel derailleur guard, and a neoprene slap guard that all contribute to keeping the drivetrain clear of debris.
With so many guards, your chain is held tight to the drivetrain, further reducing the risk of a chain drop when shifting gears, even at high speeds. If you want a steady and smooth riding experience with a cargo bike, the RadWagon 4 is a good option to consider.
Coming to a quick and steady stop matters just as much as having a fast and robust motor. That’s why we are mostly happy with the Tektro Aries MD-M300 mechanical disc brakes. Tektro is one of the most popular eBike brake manufacturers in the world. Mechanical disc brakes don’t offer as many performance advantages as hydraulic disc brakes, but besides being easy to manage and repair, mechanical disc brakes are very quiet to use.
The 180 mm rotors are the main draw, though, providing excellent stopping power that will help you come to a fast and smooth rest even when you are zipping down a steep hill at high speeds. Because it is an entry-level bike with a low price tag, we’re overall satisfied with the Aries MD-300 brake setup on the RadWagon 4.
Cargo eBikes typically don’t have much in terms of suspension support. You’ll rarely ride on roads where heavy suspension is a must, and adding hefty suspension will make the eBike even heavier. As a result, the RadWagon 4 primarily relies on its natural suspension, though it does have a rigid steel fork that provides even more shock absorption if you hit a bad road patch. If you have to go over gravel, cobblestone, or a rough road stretch while riding in the city, you can mostly do so comfortably with the RadWagon 4. If you need even more suspension support, though, consider throwing on a suspension seat post onto the RadWagon 4.
The aluminum pedals provide a great platform to rest your feet while riding the RadWagon 4 electric bike. Aluminum pedals offer better durability than plastic pedals, and you also have better traction support for your feet than your basic plastic pedal system. There are also large reflector panels on the RadWagon 4, making it easier to spot cyclists on the road if you’re heading towards the bike. In terms of upgrades, you’ll be well off just leaving the stock pedals on the RadWagon 4.
Grips and Saddle
We still want to see more than one frame size, but we appreciate the comfort components included on the RadWagon 4. The high-quality rubber grips are ergonomic, so you could go out riding for hours without tiring your hands, though we imagine you’ll stop a lot sooner, given how your legs will be burning.
The swept-back handlebars let you maintain a more relaxed riding position, reducing the strain you’ll feel on your weak joints when you go out riding. The saddle is big enough to support larger and heavier cyclists without the need to be swapped out. If you’re 5’2’’ and taller, you should feel great going out riding on the RadWagon 4 electric bike!
Wheels and Tires
Our final major performance component features Custom Rad Power Bikes 22’’ by 3’’ tires mounted on aluminum double wall 36 hole rims. 12 gauge stainless steel spokes are used for both the front and back wheel. While we would prefer a higher gauge wheel, it does reduce bike weight while still being relatively durable.
There is great puncture protection as well, so if you’re riding in the city, you’ll hardly ever get a flat or blowout while riding. The one major downside is that you can’t easily swap out the tire tube for a generic brand because this is a custom wheel configuration once it comes time to replace the tires. Instead, you have to order tires from Rad Power Bikes. Thankfully they keep their supply well-stocked, so you rarely have to wait more than a week for a brand new tire.
The RadWagon 4 eBike is well stocked with accessories and upgrades, to the point that there isn’t anything urgent you should add to the frame. An integrated headlight and taillight system, a kickstand, a bell, and a rear cargo rack are just a few of the great accessories included with the stock model. Rad Power Bikes takes pride in the outstanding accessory customization available for all of their eBikes.
There are hundreds of configurations you can choose from depending on the gear you want. Here are just a few of the official Rad Power Bikes accessories we recommend for the RadWagon 4:
- Rad Power Bikes Rear and Front Cargo Rack
- ABUS Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500 Folding Lock
- Fremont Pannier Bag
- SR Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seatpost
- GUB Pro-3 Phone Mount
- Rad Power Bikes Cargo Platforms and Baskets
- Rad Power Bikes Basket Bags
- Rad Power Bikes Rad Mirror
- Rad Power Bikes Handlebar Mitts
The RadWagon 4 is an excellent entry-level cargo eBike if you want generous weight support on a tight budget.
The 6061 aluminum frame is heavy, but the added weight enables the bike to support a 350+ pound payload. The rear gear hub motor is potent, and with both pedal and throttle activated motor assistance, you can ride however you want. The battery provides a 45+ mile range.
The Shimano 7-Speed drivetrain is very consistent, and while we prefer hydraulic disc brakes, you can trust the Tektro mechanical disc brake 180 mm rotor setup. The grips, pedals, saddle, and handlebars are all designed for comfort.
In contrast, the headlight, tail light, reflective wheels, and reflective pedal panels add safety functionality to the bike. With excellent stability, motor power, and weight support you don’t often find at such a low price, you will be making a fantastic buying decision if you decide to purchase the Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4!
Thank you for reading our spec review of the RadWagon 4 cargo electric bike! Please leave a comment below if you would like to see our review team do a full performance or video review.