Welcome to our spec review of the Yuba Spicy Curry cargo electric bike! Our review team hasn’t had the chance to try this eBike for themselves, so we can’t release a performance review until we do.
However, by comparing the Spicy Curry to other cargo eBikes with similar components that we’ve ridden, we did write up a spec review of the electric bike. We hope our spec review will give you a general idea of what to expect in terms of the overall feel, performance, and design of the Yuba Spicy Curry.
*To see current pricing on the Yuba Spicy Curry click here
Cargo bikes are great for several reasons, from giving you an option to ride a bike with your kids to help bring materials you need for work without resorting to a car. The Yuba Spicy Curry does both of these things and more. This feature-heavy cargo bike frame weighs just 63 pounds, a lighter frame for a cargo bike due to its premium 6061-T6 construction.
Cargo bikes often have compromised performance, but you can travel over 60 miles on a single charge due to the Bosch Powerpack 500 battery. The Bosch Cargo Line motor provides up to 75 Nm of torque power. The Shimano drivetrain is highly reliable due to the extensive chain guard, mud flap, and fender protection. And the 10 speeds give you many gearing options not typically included on a cargo bike.
Larger eBikes need more robust braking systems to compensate for added weight, which is why we appreciate the Magura 180 mm rotor hydraulic disc brakes. With premium Schwalbe Super Moto tires, a headlight, a tail light, dual leg kickstand, customizable saddle, and handlebar options, along with a long list of other features, there’s a ton of value justifying the expensive, premium price tag.
If you want a cargo bike that can do just about anything while still staying lightweight and easy to ride, check out our full review of the Yuba Spicy Curry electric bike!
Bike-Category: Class 1: Pedal activated motor assist up to 20 MPH.
Who It’s For: Cyclists who want a feature-packed cargo bike that is great for equipment or riding with their kids—especially well suited for those who want a cargo bike that doesn’t weigh 75+ lbs.
- FRAME: 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy
- UI/REMOTE: Button Pad with Backlit Bosch Intuvia LCD Display
- BATTERY: Bosch Powerpack 500
- CHARGER: 4 Amp Charger
- MOTOR: Bosch Cargo Line 250 W / 75 Nm Motor
- CHAIN: KMC X10e 10-Speed
- SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano Deore SL-M6000 10-Speed Trigger
- CASSETTE: Shimano 11-36 T 10-Speed
- CHAINRINGS: 50 T Chainring
- DERAILLEUR: Shimano Deore RD-M6000
- RIMS: DB-32 MTB Double Wall 36 Hole Rims
- TIRES: Schwalbe Super Moto-X 26’’ x 2.4’’ Front, 20’’ x 2.4’’ Rear
- SADDLE: Yuba Comfort Saddle
- STEM: Yuba 1.5’’ Adjustable Stem
- HANDLEBARS: Yuba 31.8mm City Handlebars
- GRIPS: Velo Ergo Grip w/Clamp
- BRAKES: Magura MT32 Hydraulic Disc Brakes, 180 mm Rotors
- PEDALS: VP-501 Aluminum Alloy Pedals
- KICKSTAND: Dual-Leg Kickstand
- BELL: Flick Bell
- HEADLIGHT: AXS Integrated Lights
- TAIL LIGHT: AXS Integrated Lights
- FENDERS: Aluminum Alloy Fenders
- Well-built cargo bikes with many features and excellent performance make it a good, premium option for commuters and families. Available in two color options.
- 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy. Full assembly weight is just 63 pounds, making it one of the lighter cargo eBikes we’ve reviewed. The total rider and cargo weight capacity is about 450 lbs.
- Bosch Powerpack 500 battery. Easy to remove and mounted on the downtube for even weight distribution. Travel 60 miles on a single charge, which is a lot for a cargo bike.
- 4 amp smart charger. The charger weighs just 1.7 lbs, so it’s even lighter than many 2 amp chargers typically included with eBikes. Full recharging time is about 3 to 4 hours.
- Bosch Cargo Line 250 W / 75 Nm motor. Low energy drain, but with a max torque, can help you climb up steep hills with ease—mid-drive motor for a natural riding feel.
- Shimano 11-36 T 10-Speed cassette with 50 T chainring drivetrain. Aluminum alloy fenders with mud flaps keep the drivetrain clean and well protected as you ride.
- Button Pad with Backlit Bosch Intuvia LCD Display. Keep track of several vital readouts while you ride. One of the few displays you can dismount and upgrade with ease.
- Schwalbe Super Moto X 26’’ x 2.4’’ front, 20’’ x 2.4’’ rear tires. Different sized tires to help even out the weight distribution, providing a more stable overall riding experience.
- Magura MT32 hydraulic disc brakes with 180 mm rotors. Decisive stopping power helps compensate for the more considerable bike weight and enables you to come to rest quicker.
- Extensive accessory compatibility and several premium accessories included with the stock model. Headlight, tail light, kickstand, and more included with the Spicy Curry.
- There is only one frame size option right now, but the adjustment options will fit riders in the 4’7’’ to 6’4’’ range.
- The handlebar stem is highly adjustable but can come loose with time. Be sure to tighten it up if you’ve had an especially tough bike ride.
- The rear derailleur is so slow, and it can scrape against the curb and side of the pavement if you aren’t careful while riding. Be especially conscientious when riding up a hill.
- 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy
High-quality aluminum alloy construction, the same alloy variant used in aircraft manufacturing. The total assembly weight is 63 lbs, which is lighter than usual for a full-sized cargo eBike.
- Bosch Powerpack 500
A powerful battery mounted on the downtube for easy charging or removal if you want to take your battery inside. Features a range up to 60 miles on a full charge, which is excellent given the limited scope of many other cargo eBikes.
- 4 Amp Charger
Rapid 4 amp charger weighs just 1.7 lbs, keeping it similar in weight and size to many other typical eBike chargers. Full recharge time from 0% to 100% is 3 to 4 hours, letting you top off your battery before you finish work.
- Bosch Cargo Line 250 W / 75 Nm Motor
Low battery drain motor with strong torque behind it when needing to climb the occasional hill. The mid-drive engine provides a natural riding feel as well, despite being a cargo eBike.
- Button Pad with Backlit Bosch Intuvia LCD Display
Small LCD display that provides several critical readouts without overwhelming your eBike. Four pedal assist modes to choose from, plus a walk mode. One of the few displays that can be replaced and upgraded if you want something more extensive.
- Shimano 11-36 T 10-Speed Cassette with 50 T Chainring Drivetrain
10-Speed eBike, providing you with more dynamic gearing options for more control over your eBike performance. Aluminum alloy fenders with mud flaps help keep the drivetrain clear of debris while you ride.
- Schwalbe Super Moto X 26’’ x 2.4’’ Front, 20’’ x 2.4’’ Rear Tires
Balanced tires provide extra stability for added cargo support without being so thick that you’re limited by overall performance while city commuting. A larger tire up front offsets the back for more balanced weight distribution across the Yuba Spicy Curry eBike.
- Yuba 31.8mm City Handlebars with Rigid Steel Fork
Highly adjustable swept-back handlebars, helping the Yuba Spicy Curry eBike fit taller and shorter riders alike. A rigid steel fork provides some shock absorption, allowing you to ride over gravel or cobblestone paths without losing your cargo or feeling too jittery in the saddle.
- Magura MT32 Hydraulic Disc Brakes with 180 mm Rotors
Robust, very responsive hydraulic disc brakes with the stopping power needed to help the Yuba Spicy Curry come to a quick and steady stop. Hydraulic disc brakes last longer than many mechanical disc brake setups and are less likely to break when you fall over too.
- VP-501 Aluminum Alloy Pedals
Great aluminum platform pedals built to provide excellent grip support to short and tall bicycle riders alike. More durable than average plastic pedal setup, with reflector panels to make it even easier to spot the bicycle rider.
Leave a Reply